WEAPON INTEL #3
DIY TRAINING WEAPONS:
Every DREAMNINJA SHOULD MAKE A WEAPON-of their own-at least ONCE.
This fosters a TRUER understanding of Weaponry-its pros and cons. A Weapon may save your LIFE by taking anothers-mentally and/or physically. These are REAL RESPONSIBILITIES. Every student of BUDO must face this honestly.
This in essence entails KNOWING it is NOT the WEAPON doing the life-taking…
IT IS THE HAND THAT HOLDS THE WEAPON AND THE OWNER OF THE HAND IS…???
…or as the late Mr.Bruce Lee in one of his movies noted “…boards DONT HIT BACK…”…only WE do. Same goes with a Weapon. WE ARE THE WEAPON.
That being so-Training Weapons need only to be functional not pretty.
If you are training realistically the Weapon will take many knocks.
Always make them with an eye to resistance/toughness as a priority. In the early days of my training (1984-…) with SOKE MASAAKI HATSUMI, SHIHAN TOSHIRO NAGATO and MasterNINJA Instructor ED LOMAX we were led through our first Basic Weapon makes.
e.g. a suitable sized length of rope, ends dipped in wax(HOT) for usage in Chain Weapon Training
Another was the HANBO; sanded SMOOTH, varnished HEAVILY…and
WEAPON STARTER PACK DIY.
With a budget of say Aud$250-
- NEED: x5 lengths of 6′ stick/wood;dia.=what feels comfortable in your grip/hand.(i use 25-30mm).
- x1 length of 4′ stick/wood ; dia.=1/2 above.
- A stain/varnish kit=brush/cleanser/sandpaper/stain/varnish/mix bowl/rags
- TOOLS=hand saw/marking texta/rule/loctite or similar/fish line/drill & bits/dustmask
PLEASE NOTE: The dia.size is “personal”–best advice from NAGATO SHIHAN was to “shake hands” with the wood.
CAN ALSO save money by not staining tho does add another layer and helps overall look imo…
Buy or gather all above.
- LEAVE TWO 6’LENGTHS UNCUT.
- SAWCUT ONE 6’LENGTH IN HALF.
- SAWCUT LAST TWO 6’LENGTHS AT 4′ ea so have 2×4’& 2×2’…
- SAWCUT THIN DIA. IN HALF…THEN HALF AGAIN SO HAVE 4×1’…
- Knuckle down and sand everything in sight smooth as…wipe &clean up.
- Stain if req.-several coats til suits u-let dry…
- Varnish several coats=more=tougher-let dry…clean area up.
You are now the proud owner of…2x BO=6’stick; 2x JO=4’stick; 2x HANBO=3’stick; + 4x tessen
SAWCUT THE 2×2’PIECES IN HALF so have 4×1”. These are now BLANK HANDLES.
The next DIY(#4) will explain their use.
til next shiro.